Thursday, November 13, 2008

Technology, Blogging, and the Information Age

We are living in the age of information. With sites such as Wikipedia and Google, we have an incredible amount of information and work right at our fingertips, simply waiting for someone to come along and look for it. We are more connected to each other than we have ever been, through sites such as Facebook and, of course, blogging. This wealth of knowledge and connection has incredible application for schools.
Focusing on blogging for the moment, I think that this method of giving our thoughts on literature is quite effective. Using a blog for assignments makes it much easier for our teacher to look at and grade our assignments, while allowing us students to make corrections and do work on our own time. Doing assignments on a computer also gives us easy access to all the useful information on the internet. For example, if we need to find a quote from, say, the Iliad, a quick google search takes care of it (it's the second result). This makes it easier to cite our work and find things that we didn't anticipate needing. I also like the way that this method mirrors the real world, where technology will undoubtedly be a large part of our lives.
I might be a bit biased, being a self described technology nerd, but I like how we're starting to integrate this kind of thing into school. It makes everything more efficient. Again, this may be different for other people. I've always been comfortable around technology, since my dad gave me an introduction when I was quite young. I'm sure there are some who prefer to actually put pencil to paper and write out their thoughts, but I like blogging - it gives me a chance to edit as I go, and I like the way I can easily read other peoples' entries.
Edit: There is one issue I see with using blogs for assignments. English has been my only class that doesn't consistently assign homework, and blogging has changed that: we now have to do blog posts at home fairly often. If this can be kept to a minimum, I won't have a problem.

1 comment:

Va Thao said...

Did you know that if you own a car, have a tv, and have shelter to live in, you are considered one the most richest people in the world?